Makin’ Music with Ms. Linda
It’s important to me that my lesson plan always coincide with the themes that the teachers have been teaching about that week. I pride myself in my ability to link the two, and also to recognize that the teachers and I are a team. Before each class begins, I ask the children and teachers what their theme is, then I weave songs and comments that relate to the theme into each thing I do during our music time (within reason!).
Here’s what we did:
- The Hello Song (highlighting musical expression):”The Farm Alarm”
- Eggs Song: “Let’s Keep the Rhythm”
- Sticks Song: “Music with My Family” (focusing on the woodwind family of instruments) & “Hop Old Squirrel” using the mystery instruments to accompany each verse best.
- Percussion Play-Along: World Music
- Mystery Instrument: All of the percussion instruments from my big grey bin.
I really enjoyed the different versions of “Hop Old Squirrel” that the different groups and I came up with. They were creative and expressive!